Pages

Monday, July 1, 2013

Breakfast is Served!

Hi all!
       It's been a week or so, and let me tell you, it was busy and fantastic. The last few days have included my golden birthday, giving the blog a facelift, and a brand new camera. (Which was used for today's post!) Speaking of which- it's time to get down to business! I've promised you breakfast, and I'll deliver. Not to mention, that breakfast is healthy, delicious and lasts me about a month!!! WHAT?!?! I bring you Baked Oatmeal Muffins-individual sized baked oatmeal:


     This recipe makes about 30 muffins.

Ingredients:
*2 eggs
*1 t. vanilla
*2 c. apple sauce
*1 banana (mashed)
*1/2 c. honey
*5 c. rolled oats
*1/4 c. flaxseed meal
*1 T. ground cinnamon
*3 t. baking powder
*1 t. salt
*2 3/4 c. milk
optional toppings: chocolate chips, raisins, walnuts, etc.

     Begin by preheating your oven to 350 degrees. After this, you're going to combine the eggs, vanilla, applesauce, banana and honey. Sometimes when I'm having trouble mashing my banana I'll microwave it for about 30 seconds. Seems to help the process quite well. Also- have you ever tried this trick?? When putting something sticky in a measuring cup, you'll have less trouble getting it out if you do this first. Fill your measuring cup with really hot water and dump it out. (no need to dry it) Immediately fill with your sticky substance (honey in this case). The honey will come out much more easily! 
This is what the initial mixture looks like! (eggs, vanilla, applesauce, etc.)
     Next you are going to add in the oats, flax, cinnamon, baking powder, and salt. Mix this well. Your mixture at the end of this will almost look like wet granola. Observe: 
     After this, you are going to add your 2 and 3/4 cups of milk. It will seem like a lot- but once you mix it in you will have a more liquid-y texture. This is ready to be put in the muffin tin. You can fill the tins almost to the top. They don't rise much. 

     The last step is to add your toppings! Now- here is an additional note. You can also mix in fresh fruit with this. I have previously mixed in fresh blueberries and loved it! With the fresh fruit, you'll mix it in before separating into the tins. This time I did half chocolate chips (for me to indulge :) ) and half raisins. (Hubby loves raisins!) Bake for 30-35 minutes until tops are golden brown. Last additional note! I have successfully frozen these and thawed them out for later. During the school year I bake a whole batch and only thaw enough for each week of school. They stay well and taste delicious even weeks later! 




I hope this is something you find useful and helpful. Don't forget to comment below with ideas of projects for me to try over the summer! 

Enjoy the newest addition as well (thanks to the hubby!)- the ability to pin my blog to Pinterest! Hovering over any picture will lead you right to pinning a recipe to your boards! Use the function well! 


5 comments:

  1. Cori! I'm so glad that you've started a blog; you've always been so creative growing up that this seems so perfect for you! I already love reading your recipes and I can't wait to try and make these muffins! I look forward to reading more :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks guys! I appreciate the love and am glad you like it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks delicious...and healthy too. May have to have Naomi help me some one day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks John! If you get the chance I hope it goes well! Would be fun for Naomi to have the job of choosing toppings to sprinkle on. :)

      Delete