Pages

Monday, July 15, 2013

BBQ Dinner

     Well folks, after a wonderful week at the beach I am back and ready with recipes! 


     With summer heat coming on strong, here are some perfect recipes for a BBQ. They are part of the smorgasbord of foods that were served yesterday to about ten hungry friends! Both of these recipes have been recent repeats for me and the family. 

     The first recipe I'd like to introduce you to is a fantastic marinade that cost me less than $3. This is NO JOKE! As long as you have oil and water in your kitchen, you need only purchase 2 items. So, run to the grocery store and pick up one packet of Old El Paso Original Taco Seasoning and a lemon. I found this recipe thanks to my niece, who was only eating taco meat. I was looking to fix the sister-in-law a meal and thought this might be a nice change that my sweet pea would enjoy too! 

Now, to save on clean up, I prepare everything in the plastic bag that I marinade my chicken in.          

Step 1: Put the packet of seasoning in the bag. 


Step 2: Add to this 1/4 cup of olive oil and 1/4 cup of water. 
Step 3: Add in two tablespoons of lemon juice from your lemon. 


Step 4: Before adding in chicken breast, make sure the ingredients are mixed together.
Step 5: Add in approximately 4 chicken breasts to marinade. 

You can leave them in the fridge overnight, but I've had success with only a few hours in the fridge too. 


Step 6: Now, I've cooked my chicken two ways after this step. Both in a frying pan and on the grill. 

I am partial to grilling because I think it gives the marinade the chance to caramelize and form a nice crispy outside.


Recipe #2 was the perfect pairing for grilled chicken on a hot day! I give you, Summer Pasta Salad! 



This delicious dish is something I stumbled on when I was looking to use up some random foods left in the fridge! 

You will need the following ingredients:
* 1 Box uncooked pasta
*3 cups grape tomatoes cut in half
*2 cups zucchini sliced and quartered (I have also used cucumber to substitute and it's just as good!) 
*1/2 red onion, finely chopped
*7 tbsp light mayo
* 2 and 1/2 tbsp red wine vinegar
*2 tbsp fat free Greek yogurt
*2 tsp mustard (yellow or Dijon) 
*1/4 tsp oregano
*1/4 tsp garlic powder
*salt and pepper to taste 

Directions: First cook your pasta according to the side of the box. Rinse with cold water and put to the side. In a large bowl, combine the onion, mayo, vinegar, Greek yogurt, mustard, and spices and mix well. Add tomatoes, zucchini (or cucumber) and pasta and toss well. 

Lucky for me, there was some left over after last night's BBQ!! Let me tell you, it might be even better a day later! Pasta salad is one of those foods that tastes fantastic a day later because it gives the flavors added time to develop and meld together. 

Alright ladies and gents, that's it for today! Look forward to some crafting posts later thanks to a lovely trip to bead mecca! As always- I hope you enjoy and please let me know if you try any recipes out! I'd love to know how it goes for you! Stay cool! 

                <3 

No comments:

Post a Comment