Pages

Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Introducing: The Hubby Cake

   Better late than never. That's the motto I'm going with for this post. 

Background: For the last few years, Hubby and I have been working on keeping to a healthier diet. 
   Partially for Hubby's health and partially just to treat our bodies better. 

   With that in mind, most of my Pinterest hours are spent on healthy alternatives for things we usually would splurge on. About a year ago, I found just a picture on Pinterest and it got me thinking. We don't usually do birthday cakes for the hubby, but this one seemed perfect. 
    Now, don't get me wrong. Part of the fun was watching the Hubby's face go curious and concerned every time I mentioned his "birthday cake." The fear of having to eat something unhealthy, or pretend to like it was evident. 

   Let's get down to the details. You'll need to go to the grocery store or your local produce market and have a hay day in the fruit section. The great thing about this idea is that it can be different every time you make it. No matter what, however, you'll need a watermelon. 

Begin by cutting your watermelon to the size and shape of the cake you'd like to create. Use your creativity! I started out with a circular cake, but it could be square, a hexagon, etc. 

   Now is when the fun begins. I found this cute little set of fruit/cookie/etc cutters at TJ Maxx and figured they'd work well. I cut up some cantaloupe in nice flat slices in order to use the cut outs best.


   From here, I cut out some fun shapes and began to figure out a pattern to create on my "cake."

      The other fruits that I chose had some great colors and went with my beautiful reds and oranges.








You've gotta love blues and greens



From here on out it's just a fun exploration in patterns and shapes that you can arrange on your "cake."
For my first try, I went relatively simple. But after this success, I have all kinds of new ideas floating around my head. In the mean time, here are the final images of my Healthiest Birthday Cake Ever!


   Needless to say, the hubby was delighted and there was NONE left by the time the two of us finished with it!

   <3





No comments:

Post a Comment