Pages

Monday, December 9, 2013

Happy Thanksgiving!!! er....

Hello bloggers!
      You may think I'm crazy to still be wishing you a Happy Thanksgiving...but let's face it people, it WASN'T that long ago! Yikes! However, as promised...I bring you an unhealthy post! Let me tell you, it's worth it. If I were capable of showing you tons of "after" pictures I would. Alas, it disappeared quickly, so you are stuck with this one...

   WHAT!?!??!! That's right, Cinnamon Roll Apple Pie! A little bit ago, I saw a single picture on Pinterest and the gears started turning. This will not necessarily be a precise recipe, however I sometimes like to feel out the recipes as we go. (Apologies if that strikes fear into your heart...)

   Start out by picking your favorite pie crust recipe. Let's face it folks, dump some flour, sugar, a bit of salt, and a ton of butter into a food processor. If you're thinking I mistyped the words food processor...I did not. It works like a charm! A few teaspoons of water later, you've got pie crust. Divide your crust into two halves and refrigerate them for a bit in order to work more easily with it later.











Pull your dough out of the fridge, flour a surface, and start rolling out a rectangle.

   Once you have a lovely rectangle, moisten it a bit with wet hands, and smear on some cinnamon. I did not add sugar for a few reasons. The first has to do with the amount of sugar in the pie filling. The second has do to with the ooey- gooey factor. I did not want to have pie crust falling apart from melted sugar. The next step is just to roll up your cinnamon-y dough!











   It's pretty simple from here on out! Slice your rolled up dough and slice by slice press it to the pie plate. It is important to try and minimize spaces between each slice.

   It is your choice from here on out if you pre-bake your crust or just add in the filling. Usually pie crust is only pre-baked if you do not need to bake the filling. So I "peeled-cored-sliced" about 3 Honeycrisp apples. (I have a small love affair with these apples...I buy dozens of them when they are in season!)
   Those got tossed in about 3/4 of a cup of sugar and a few tablespoons of cinnamon. When they are coated, dump 'em on in your crust.

   NOW, I repeat the same rolling, cinnamon, roll-up process with your second ball of pie dough. I originally thought I could use a rolling pin to roll together a sheet of the cinnamon roll slices and then place it on top of the pie. (SEE: Learn from my mistake) It did NOT work. haha. However, I quickly decided to just individually place the flattened slices on top of the pie and merge them as best as possible. It was not actually that difficult. 
   This got brushed with an egg wash and popped in the oven. (Egg wash: scrambled one whole egg and brushed it on) It stayed in the oven at about 350 for about 45 minutes. It smelled DELICIOUS, and came out beautifully! 
   I had to show you that shot one more time cause it's so dang pretty! I also took some fun shots so you could see that the beauty was visible from all angles! 

Thanks to Momma for holding the pie while I laid on the floor! 
   Let me tell you friends, it was a huge hit and it disappeared! It was just so fun and tasty. Who wouldn't want cinnamon rolls AND apple pie?!?! I dare you to give it a try. It's worth the attempt. (Or bribe a friend to do it!) 
    I hope you all had a wonderful and relaxing Thanksgiving. As I type to you, I am enjoying a wintery snowy night and the view of my art project that will be up here next!

           <3

No comments:

Post a Comment